Table of Contents
Knives are one of the most importantthings for kitchen success. There are different types of knives you will get in the market for a kitchen. Among them, a high-carbon steel knifeisamust-have for every kitchen.
However, your responsibilities will not be finished only by purchasing one. The workability of every knife is dependent on how much care you take of it. So, it is a must say that you should always careabout it after every use.If you don’t do that for one or two days after using it, you will notice stains and rusts.
That is why in this article, we will provide you with the best carbon steel knife caring tips and hacks. This article is going to be very useful for maintaining your performance in the kitchen. So, without wasting your time, let’s get started.
Carbon Steel Knife Caring Tips and Hacks
Carbon steel is strong and durable than stainless steel. That is why the way of taking care of carbon knives is a little bit different from stainless-steel knives. Here are the tips and hacks to care for your knife:
Dealing with Patina and Rust:
In the case of a carbon steel knife, it will turn into a grey-blue color after using for some days. There is nothing wrong with you. It will appear even after you take care very perfectly.
Actually, it is the nature of carbon steel; you don’t have to be tensed about it. On the contrary, the patina is a good thing. It protects your knife from corrosion. A healthy patina can protect your blade from even rust.
Now let’s talk about rust. It is obviously a serious problem. Here are the ways of preventing rusts from protecting your knives:
Keep your knives clean and dry:
The first thing you can do to prevent rust is always keeping your carbon knife clean and dry. Always dry your knife after washing. It is better to wipe the knife instead of washing it with water most of the time.
Oil your blade regularly:
You should oil your blade regularly. It is a very significant technique for keeping your knife always rust-free because oil is like the blades' best enemy.
Remove rust asap:
Another method for preventing rust is, removing the rust as soon as possible whenever you see it. You can use steel wool to do it properly. We recommend you to use emery paper for cleaning it. Here one caution for you that doesn’t remove the rust roughly.
Cleaning your knife is a mandatory task for preventing rust, as we have said in the last tips, as well as enlarging its life time. Here are the methods of cleaning your carbon knife correctly:
Using a wet kitchen towel:
Take a wet kitchen towel and fold it in a square shape, and it should be kept on the cooking table.
Make a habit of wiping:
Then you always have to wipe your knife after using it. Make it your habit. Just cut anything and wipe it. Now let it for making any stain.
After doing these steps, when your cooking will be finished, you have to clean it with water. Here are the methods of doing this:
- Firstly, take warm and soapy water for washing the carbon steel knife.
- Then use a soft cloth to remove all the stains that were made in your last usage. You need to do it very gently.
- After that, rinse your knife thoroughly with warm water.
- Wipe it with a soft and dry cloth or dish towel.
- Now it is time to oil your knife before storing it.
Oiling is one of the most important parts of carbon steel knife maintenance. By oiling your knife, you will be able to protect your knife from corrosion as well as rust. Some knife makers also recommend applying cooking oil there. Some people use mineral grade oil for their knives. Anyways, here is the process of applying oil to the knife:
Dry your knife:
Firstly, you need to dry your knife on both well with a soft cloth very carefully.
Apply the oil:
Then apply the oil thoroughly, very gently. Use a cloth for spreading it perfectly. Keep doing this until it starts shining.
Sharpening and honing:
Sharpening is basically shaving your blade to get a fresh and sharp blade. You should sharpen your knife at least one time a month. For your carbon steel knife, you need to use sharpening steel and sharpening stone.
But if you don’t use your knife on a daily basis, it will be okay for you to sharpen your carbon steel knife two or three times a year.
Honing is also important for getting a perfectly balanced knife. For doing this, you need a honing rod. We recommend you to hone your knife every day before using it.
Storing is also a very significant thing for a knife as cleaning it. For maintaining its quality, you have to keep this in a safe place, not in the box of utensils. The blade can be blunted or get some scratches on it by the pressure of some of the other dishes. Here are some rules for you:
- If you don’t have any other place for storing your knife except the drawer of utensil, you can keep it in another sheath.
- You have to make sure that the sheath is not wet.
- You can apply a few drops of oil that you used in oiling the knife in the sheath. It will be very advantageous for your knife to be protected.
How to care for a carbon steel knife: Extra Tips
Here are some extra tips for you about caring for a carbon steel knife:
- Onion, tomato, and many fruits like these are literally enemies of carbon steel because they all have acid, which is bad for it. So, try to use another knife for cutting acidic fruits and vegetables.
- The dishwasher is not good for carbon steel blades. So, never use a dishwasher to clean your carbon steel knife.
- Never keep your knife in the place where you keep your dishes and water.
- Always use your carbon steel knife for cutting vegetables or fruits on the board, not on the table.
- Don’t use the carbon steel knife for other purposes than cutting fruits or vegetables. It can damage the sharpness of your knife.
Well, these are mainly the best carbon steel knife caring tips and hacks. If you follow these, you will not find any kinds of stains or rust on your blade. You will easily be able to use your knife for years.
Obviously, you will have a lot of important works in your kitchen but caring for your knives is not less important. You always have to keep it in your mind.
Anyway, that is all for this article. We hope you will love it. If you know some other better hacks, you can share them with us in the comment section.